Pages

lundi 31 octobre 2011

Re: [sap-career] SAP Trainer or SAP End User Job

Posted by Debashish_leo
on Oct 31 at 3:06 PM
Hi Mr. Vidya Dhar

You are saying certification is an added advantage. Accepted ...but not
mandatory or the basis for getting a job. As far as my background goes I
had an experience in HR generalist profile for 2 years. Currently I am not
working as my last company closed down. As you already mentioned, I learned
form online directly from a freelance trainer based at Hyderabad. I did
manage to get some interview calls from some major IT companies, who are
into SAP consulting (like IBM, Accenture, HCL etc). All they cared about
the amount of prior experience in SAP implementation (or support) I had, as
they required a minimum 2 years prior experience in SAP consulting. They
didn't even bother to ask whether I had passed the SAP certification or
not. As you can easily guess, I got rejected in those interviews due to
lack of prior experience. I gave references of my friends who had passed
their certifications, but still looking for a breakthrough. Later I came to
know that all of my friends, despite having passed their certifications met
the same fate as me due to lack prior experience in SAP consulting,
although they had a good domain experience in HR of 4-5 yrs. When one of my
friends got into an argument with the HR person of one of those companies
by emphasizing on his certification issue, the HR guy candidly said to him
that that they give a damn to the SAP certification, if that is not
supported by a minimum 2 years experience and abruptly hanged up the phone.


As I already mentioned my earlier post I have surveyed many of my friends
and acquaintances in my network, who have done SAP certifications both in
HR as well as in other domains.There are total of 40 such people whom I
surveyed. Almost 85% of them conveyed that the certification didn't help
them to get a job as a SAP consultant. Only those people (6 people out of
40 which comes to 15%), who already had prior 2 to 3 experience in SAP
consulting, did the certification add value to their professional careers
(ie the certification really proved to be an added advantage for only those
6 people out 40, in terms of some overseas assignments and promotions) .

The vast majority of them (34 people out of 40, which comes to 85%) , who
don't have a prior SAP consulting experience, the certification didn't
prove of any significant value, let alone be an advantage. Despite passing
the certification test, these 34 people are either working as SAP end
users or they have returned to their respective domain jobs or working as
trainers in those small time institutes to make out a living. This is case
of those people who had paid approx INR 4 lakhs, for the ILT (some went for
the OLT and paid approx INR 2 lakhs) in those SAP authorized training
institutes like NIIT or Siemens. As far as I am concerned, I don't have any
prior experience in SAP Consulting. I only have 2 years domain experience
in HR. Its not amount of money but the value from money that matters. How
can be assured of a job in SAP consulting even if I spend INR 2 lakhs for
my SAP certification (assuming that I go for the OLT option) ???? And if at
all I land up in a job as SAP end user despite passing the SAP
certification, why should I spend INR 2 lakhs in the first place??? Please
advise.

Also throw some light on what are chances of moving from end user to
implementation (or support). If I join as an end-user, perform well and
build a good rapport with my seniors, is there any chances that I will be
able to migrate to SAP implantation at later point of time. How much time
does it take approximately.???.

Please advise on these issues so that I am able to take a final decision.

Also thanking you from the bottom of my heart for all your suggestions and
advice till now, as I find your posts most useful as compared to other
posts.

Regards---
Debashish

---------------Original Message---------------
From: Vidhya Dhar
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2011 5:40 AM
Subject: SAP Trainer or SAP End User Job

Hi

It is absolutely okay to take up teaching as an interim profession until you get a real time work or (support / implementation) assignment. In fact, an immediate teaching profession until such time helps you stay in touch with the subject and fetch you some earning as well. But please do remember that such teaching experience may not be construed as real time experience for any other SAP job or support / implementation assignment. Since you do not seem to have a passion for teaching.... it is better to find an alternative, sooner the better.

However, as per Indian standards.... as I said earlier...... Certification is an added advantage ( sometimes even considered as mandatory by some people ). In fact, you may be competing in the SAP market with candidates having HR domain experience and an SAP certificate as well. If you are serious about getting a job, then you need to be at par with them.

In the SAP market.... as I told you before.. no body starts off as a consultant ( let us be realistic ). Since you would be considered as a fresher ( from a local institute and more over you are not certified.....am sorry..... am not meaning to offend you by any standards ) without any real time experience even as an end user ( By the way, I do not know if you have any work related domain experience in HR arena....though may not be in SAP). Therefore, if somebody tells you that you can start your career as a consultant......please think twice ....it is either that a. the person is trying to sound encouraging out of his affection for you and does not want to see you feel offended or b. the person is naive and you need to validate his / her statements.

Unless you are cocksure that you have

1. a valid certification
2. thorough knowledge of all related business processes ( usually gained through adequate related work experience , may be even as an end user )

you may be doing a wild goose chase looking for assignments and wasting time in the process..... I am not discouraging you.....only suggesting you that taking up any assignment ( even end user related) may not be a bad idea since it is something to start with ( most people start their career so and grow up in course of time).

Wishing you success in your endeavor.

Regards

VidhyaDhar

__.____._
Copyright © 2011 Toolbox.com and message author.

Toolbox.com 4343 N. Scottsdale Road Suite 280, Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Mark as helpful
View this online
  
Popular White Papers

In the Spotlight
SAP BusinessObjects: Dashboards and Analytics. Learn more about this Toobox.com Marketplace online course.

_.____.__

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire